Paediatric Cardiac Surgery in India
Paediatric procedures are carried out to fix heart imperfections and heart ailments in children who are born with congenital heart defects. One surgery might be sufficient to repair the heart defect, but at times a series of procedures are required. Surgeons in Max Hospital, India have a prominent success rate in Paediatric Cardiac surgery.
Some of Paediatric Heart Problems
- Aortic Aneurysm: It is a bulge on the wall of the aorta, and the aneurysm is caused by a weakness in the wall of the artery.
- Arrhythmias: It is an abnormal rhythm of the heart, that causes the heart to pump less effectively
- Bacterial endocarditis: Infection on the lining of the heart that can occur in any person.
- Atrial septal defect: ASD is an opening in the dividing walls between the two upper chambers of the heart, and it is a congenital defect that develops early in pregnancy.
Some heart defects need to be operated on soon after birth. For others, it is better to wait for some time. Few heart defects might not require treatment at all.
In general, symptoms which lead to a surgical procedure are
- Gray or blue skin, nail beds, and lips (cyanosis). These symptoms indicate there is not adequate O2 in the blood (hypoxia).
- Trouble in breathing as the lungs are congested, "wet," or filled with fluid (heart failure).
- Issues due to heart rate (arrhythmias).
- Improper sleeping and feeding lead to a lack of development and growth of the child.
Medical Test or Diagnosis
Different medical tests are needed before pediatric cardiac surgery:
- Blood tests (complete blood count, clotting factors, electrolytes, and "crossmatch")
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- X-rays of the chest
- Echocardiogram (ECHO, or ultrasound of the heart)
- History and physical
- Cardiac catheterization
It is important that the doctor is informed about the medicines, vitamins, drugs, and herbs your infant is taking (prescribed / non prescribed)
Before the surgical procedure
On the day of the surgery
- If your child takes blood thinners, such as heparin or warfarin (Coumadin), consult with the physician about when to end administering these medications to the child.
- Ask which medications the child is allowed to take on the day of the surgery.
After the Procedure
After surgery, the child needs to continue in ICU for a couple of days and a week in hospital after that. There are three different techniques available for fixing congenital disabilities of the heart in children at Max Hospital, India
- It is recommended that a child does not eat or drink anything the night before the surgical procedure.
- Administer your child and only feed the doctor's prescribed medicine with some water.
- You will be notified when to arrive at the hospital.
- Open-heart surgery is performed with the help of a heart-lung bypass machine.
- For several heart imperfection repairs, a slit is made on the surface of the chest, amid the ribs. It is known as thoracotomy and closed-heart surgery. The procedure may be carried out utilizing a camera and specialized instruments.
- Another means to repair imperfections in the heart is to put in small tubes within an artery in the leg and bypass them to the heart.