Pacemaker Surgery in India
What is a Pacemaker?
The human heart pulsates about 72 beats per minute. To perform such constant and rhythmic pulsations to pump blood effectively, it generates electrical impulses from the sino-arterial node. When this node ceases to create the electrical impulse, an artificially and electrically charged medical device is implanted in the chest wall to mimic the function of the SA node. This electrical device is called a pacemaker. It helps maintain the heartbeat’s rhythm to avoid arrhythmias.
What is Pacemaker Surgery in India?
During a pacemaker surgery in India, the surgeons place a pacemaker under the skin below the collarbone. It is connected with lead wires to the heart chambers.
With the best cardiac team and state-of-the-art equipment, Max Hospital, India stands as one of the most trusted and reliable hospitals for pacemaker surgery in India.
When Do Doctors in India Suggest Pacemaker Treatment?
Pacemakers treatment might be required for patients suffering from:
- Tachycardia or Increased Heart Rate
- Bradycardia or Slow Heart Rate
- Congenital Heart Diseases
- Heart Blockage
In such cases, the body does not get enough blood and oxygen. Consequently, patients might also experience the following symptoms:
- Chest pressure and pain
- Fainting, also known as syncope
- Shortness of breath
- Palpitations – fluttering and pounding in the chest
- Inability to perform any activity
Medical Tests Performed Before Pacemaker Surgery in India
Some tests performed before pacemaker surgery in India are:
- Stress Test
- Holter Monitoring
Your doctor is most likely to advise these tests once you reach India. Discuss with them the precautions you need to take.
Pre-Surgery Preparations for Pacemaker Treatment in India
- Before the surgery, doctors conduct a series of tests, as discussed above.
- Patients should not drink or eat anything the night before the surgery. You must follow the doc
- Follow the instructions of the doctor about a specific drug regimen.
- A consent form will be required for the test. Read it carefully and ask questions if something is unclear.
- If you are sensitive to or allergic to any drugs, iodine, latex, or anaesthetic agents, inform your doctor.
- The surgery is performed under local anaesthesia, and doctors maintain an intravenous line to infuse specific medicines.
Post-Surgery Precautions After Pacemaker Treatment in India
- The patients stay in the hospital for observation for a few days after the surgery.
- Doctors program the pacemaker to fit one’s needs. Remote checking of the pacemakers is done. It can be done remotely and can send information regarding the heart rate and rhythm directly to the doctor’s office.
- Vigorous exercises and heavy lifting must be avoided for a month.
- Undue pressure should be avoided in the area where the pacemaker has been implanted.
Pacemaker Surgery Cost in India
The following factors determine the cost of pacemaker surgery in India
- Patient's condition and the surgery required
- Hospital chosen
- The price and type of implant device