IVF or In-vitro Fertilization refers to the reproduction technology involving procedures for treating fertility, especially for individuals who have infertility. Some of the treatments in IVF are surgical sperm retrieval, assisted hatching & blastocyst transfer. Infertility treatment at Max Hospital India is precise and success-oriented. Our latest facility and highly experienced doctors provide exceptional treatment options for various infertility conditions.
Types of IVF Treatment Some of the common types of IVF treatment are:
- Natural Cycle IVF
- Male Fertility Treatment- ICSI
- Assisted Reproduction Techniques.
- Assisted Hatching
- Blastocyte Transfer
- Recurrent IVF Failure Treatment
- Fertility Preservation
- Surgical Sperm Retrieval
- Third-Party Reproduction.
Diagnosis Before the IVF cycle is initiated, preparation of both female eggs and male sperm need to undergo some health screenings, which are mentioned below:
- Test for Ovarian reserve – For determining the quantity as well as the quality of eggs, the doctor may test the concentration of FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) and also an anti-mullerian hormone in the blood during initial days of the menstrual cycle.
- Analysis of Semen – This process is done shortly before the start of an IVF treatment cycle.
- Screenings for Infectious disease – Both individuals are screened for infectious diseases, including HIV.
- Uterine examination – Doctors usually examine the inside lining of the uterus before starting the IVF procedure. It involves a sonohysterography where a fluid is injected through the cervix into the uterus. Also, an ultrasound is taken for creating images of the uterine cavity.
Treatment The very first step in In-vitro fertilization is to take proper fertility medications for a few months for enabling ovaries to produce some eggs, which mature for fertilization. This step is known as ovulation induction. Regular ultrasound, as well as blood tests, is conducted to assess the hormone levels and also keeping track of the production of eggs.When ovaries produce enough eggs, doctors remove them from the body, and this is known as egg retrieval. It involves a minor surgery that is done at the clinic. Proper medicine is given to the patient to relax and stay comfortable during the process. Doctors then use ultrasound to look inside the body and put a thin hollow tube through the vagina into the ovary as well as follicles that hold the eggs. A needle is attached to a suction device that pulls out the egg from each follicle gently. These eggs are then mixed with sperm cells that are taken from the partner or a donor. This process is known as insemination, which is carried out in a laboratory.Around three to five days after the retrieval of eggs, one or more embryos are inserted in the uterus, and this process is called embryo transfer. A thin tube is slid through the cervix into the uterus, and the embryo is then inserted directly via tube. In this procedure, pregnancy happens when any of the embryos attach to the uterus lining. This procedure of embryo transfer is painless. In-vitro-fertilization, as well as Intracytoplasmic sperm injection, are considered assisted reproductive treatment procedures where egg fertilization takes place outside the human body. These two treatment procedures involve a series of steps that take around several weeks to complete.