Dr Akshay Tiwari is the Head of Musculoskeletal Surgical Oncology at Max Institute of Cancer Care, Max Superspeciality Hospital, Saket. He is a fellowship trained Musculoskeletal/ Orthopaedic oncologist and has been exclusively involved for more than a decade in the care of patients suffering from cancers/ tumors of bone and soft tissue. Extensively trained in this highly specialised field, his areas of interest are primary malignant bone tumors, soft tissue sarcomas, benign aggressive bone tumors and metastatic bone disease. Dr Akshay is credited with setting up the first exclusive Musculoskeletal/ Orthopaedic oncology unit in Delhi- NCR, and has performed more than 1000 surgeries for patients suffering from bone and soft tissue tumours. Dr Akshay has been trained at world-renowned institutes of excellence in musculoskeletal oncology i.e Rizzoli Orthopedic Institute, Italy and Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai , and has numerous national and international publications and presentations on musculoskeletal oncology to his credit. His area of surgical expertise includes limb salvage surgery for bone and soft tissue tumors, reconstructive orthopedic surgery and surgical management of spinal tumors. Being one of the very few orthopedic surgeons in the country who are dedicated purely to bone and soft tissue tumors , he has developed keen interest in surgeries such as internal hemipelvectomy, extra corporeal radiotherapy and reimplantation of bone tumors, total femur replacement and en bloc resection of sarcomas of the spine. As the Head of Musculoskeletal Surgical Oncology at Max Institute of Cancer Care, Dr Akshay proudly leads a team of professionals who adhere strictly to evidence based principles combined with innovations individualized to the needs of the patient , in order to completely remove/ treat the disease while maintaining the form and function of the limb affected by cancer.
- Senior resident (Orthopedics)- Lady Hardinge Medical College and Associated Hospitals
- Consultant Orthopedic Oncologist, Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute, Delhi
- Head, Orthopedic Oncology Unit, Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute, Delhi
Education & Training:
- Fellowship in Musculoskeletal Oncology- Rizzoli Orthopedic Institute, Italy
- Diploma in Tissue Banking, Singapore
- Bone and Soft Tissue Unit, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai
- MS Orthopedics- Lady Hardinge Medical College, Delhi
- MBBS, RG Kar Medical College, Kolkata
Awards & Achievement:
- Honours (Distinction) in third professional MBBS exams.
- Governor’s Medal for securing highest marks in second professional MBBS exams.
- Gold Medal for highest marks in Anatomy in first professional MBBS exams.
- First runner-up in semi-finals in All India Medi Mind Quiz.
- Awarded a Fellowship in Orthopedic Oncology by Delhi Orthopedic Association at Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, India.
- Best Published Paper award at RGCON 2011
- Best Paper Award at ICC, 2013
- Indian Orthopedic Association
- Delhi Orthopedic Association
- IMSOS (Musculoskeletal oncology society